PK3-8 Admission Process
For September 2017 we are completely full at all grade levels of the school.
For entry in September 2018, the link for electronic inquiries will become live in mid-August.
Our Admission process is designed to give you the opportunity to appreciate the myriad benefits of bilingualism and to ensure a good match for your child and your family.
French American is unusual in being PK3 through 12. For children entering Kindergarten, a bilingual education in French and English should be envisioned as a 13-year quest. Naturally, most applicant families are highly focused on our Page Street Early Learning Center; but it is also worthwhile to learn about the richness of the whole journey, in particular our flagship International Baccalaureate & French Bac programs taken in 11th and 12th Grade.
Students from public, private, and parochial schools are admitted to the French American International School and International High School on the basis of academic records and other data. Our Admission policies are non-discriminatory.
Eight step process for Bay Area applicants
Submit an online inquiry.
You will be asked to create an account. A username and password will be generated automatically and sent to you by e-mail.
PK3, PK4 and K:
Use your username and password from the online inquiry to login to our Application Portal and sign up for a parent docent-led tour.
Tours always start at our 150 Oak Street main campus and include a visit by shuttle to our Early Childhood Center at 1155 Page Street.
You will see bilingual classrooms in action and meet the Admission team for an intimate informational seminar. We limit the tour size to 12 persons. Refreshments are served.
All tours are 8:30-11:15 am.
Grades 1 through 8:
After you submit an online inquiry you will be invited to visit the school and meet the Admission team. A transcript from a school recognized by the French Ministry of Education is essential for a viable application.
After login, you can use the event scheduling module to reserve a spot at our public events.
Application Deadline for 2017-2018: December 21, 2017
Application Deadline for sibling, staff and alum application: November 17, 2017
- Use your username and password from the Inquiry to login to our Application Portal and complete your application. This can be done all at once, or in stages at your convenience.
- Complete the Online Application. A $100 fee is charged for submission of your application.
- Email the following to Associate Director of Admission, Coumba Diouf.
- PDF copy of your child’s birth certificate (Also a livret de famille if your child is a French citizen)
- PDF of completed and signed Authorization for Release of Information
- Have your current school complete and email one of the following Confidential Student Recommendation Forms to our office: PK4, K and 1st grade or 2nd to 8th grade.
- For Grades 2 though 8 only: Ask your current school to send us official report cards or a dossier covering the previous two academic years.
PK3 children are not evaluated formally. By invitation they meet the Dean of Admission and a teacher with their parents for a short interview/play session.
Saturday evaluations are required for all local PK4 and K applicants. As soon as all required application documents have been received, the Associate Director of Admission will contact families to schedule an early morning, mid-morning or afternoon evaluation.
A parent interview with the Dean of Admission is required for all non-sibling K applicants. The Admission office will contact each family directly in early November to arrange an interview slot.
Dates for acceptance notifications and responses: TBD
We have a buddy system and a directory of both new and returning families which includes class listings for summer play dates.
International and Long Distance Applicants
We welcome applications from families relocating to the San Francisco Bay Area.