Overnight Field Trips & Outdoor Education
Each year, students in grades 1 to 5 are involved in an overnight outdoor education program which complements and enriches their studies in the classroom:
- 1st graders experience a hands-on, experiential program at a nature camp for four days at Camp Tuolumne Trails;
- 2nd graders discover a new environment during a five day trip to the Sierra Nevada Bear Valley Lodge;
- 3rd graders expand their knowledge of California History by spending five days in the gold country studying Native American cultures at Camp Lodestar;
- 4th graders spend five days in nature at Coloma Outdoor Discovery Camp;
- 5th graders culminate their lower school bilingual education with an exchange trip to Strasbourg, France, for up to two weeks.
These experiences outside the classroom help to develop a sense of community, responsibility, and independence in our students. They allow students to explore first-hand their relationship with nature and the environment, and give them an opportunity to speak French in a natural way.