Beginning in Pre-K or Kindergarten, the French American International School provides a rigorous bilingual (French/English) immersion program through Middle School, culminating in either a French Baccalaureate or International Baccalaureate program in its International High School.
The French American bilingual journey begins in Maternelle. Children enter at Pre-K3, Pre-K4, or Kindergarten. Initially children benefit from classes that are conducted in French 80% of the time. After second grade we switch to approximately 55% French and 45% English in order to capitalize on the “transfer of competencies” between the two languages.
By Middle School the students are competent, balanced bilinguals. They are primed for accelerated third language studies (in Spanish, Italian, Mandarin, or Arabic).
The International High School curriculum consists of two parallel tracks. The Pre-K through 12 bilingual journey continues in our French Track which culminates in either a scientific Bac S, or a Bac ES, with a humanities emphasis. Previous knowledge of French is not required for admission to the International High School. Non-bilingual students can enter our International Track leading to an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma. Students may switch from the French Track in order to take a Bilingual IB Diploma.
How our school wide curriculum sequence aligns with le système éducatif
Going Deeper: Portals to the Three Sections
Teaching and Learning Statement
As leaders in bilingual and international education, we embody innovative and rigorous teaching and learning that develops each learner’s potential and ignites the joy of learning. This is representative of our strategic goals in International Program Promise and Cross-Cultural Cognition. Our environment is learner-centered where all learners (students and teachers) are highly engaged in acquiring new knowledge and skills.
● At French American and International, our teaching and learning reflects our values of respect, integrity, inclusion, collaboration and curiosity. Self-direction, active participation and choice along the learning path are central to the learning experience.
● We believe in authentic and academically demanding learning, exposing our students to diverse fields of knowledge. We encourage intellectual debate and deep analysis, training our students to be able to extrapolate the essentials, to appreciate the significance of context and then make new connections of their own, as they embark on their individual journeys of intellectual discovery.
● We value reflection and assessment as tools to both inspire instruction and enhance student learning.
● Through interdisciplinary projects and real-life connections drawn from our local urban setting, we foster the skills necessary for global citizenship and lifelong learning: creativity, communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and problem solving.
● We believe in developing all aspects of our learners - social, emotional, cognitive, and physical- by cultivating a space for social emotional intelligence and cultural responsiveness while emphasizing the power of positive and supportive relationships among students and adults.
Our student assessments are:
- Formative and summative
- Intentional—linked to learning goals
- Timely—including feedback to students