How to Apply
Our Admission process is designed to give you the opportunity to appreciate the myriad benefits of bilingualism and to ensure a good match for your child and your family. French American is unusual in being PK3 through 12. For children entering Kindergarten, a bilingual education in French and English should be envisioned as a 13-year quest. Naturally, most applicant families are highly focused on our Page Street Early Learning Center; but it is also worthwhile to learn about the richness of the whole journey, in particular our flagship International Baccalaureate & French Bac programs taken in grades 11 and 12.
Students from public, private, and parochial schools are admitted to the French American International School and International High School on the basis of academic records and other data. Our Admission policies are non-discriminatory.
PK3-8 Admission Process
Submit an online inquiry.
You will be asked to create an account. A username and password will be generated automatically and sent to you by email.
PK3, PK4 and K:
Use your username and password from the online inquiry to login to our Application Portal and sign up for a parent docent-led tour.
Tours always start at our 150 Oak Street main campus and include a visit by shuttle to our Early Childhood Center at 1155 Page Street. Tours are held 8:30am - 11:15 am.
You will see bilingual classrooms in action and meet the Admission team for an informational seminar. We limit the tour size to 12 people. Refreshments are served.
Grades 1 through 8:
After you submit an online inquiry you will be invited to visit the school and meet the Admission team. A transcript from a school recognized by the French Ministry of Education is essential for a viable application.
After login to the application portal, you can use the event scheduling module to reserve a spot at our public events.
- Use your username and password from the Inquiry to login to our Application Portal and complete your application. This can be done all at once, or in stages at your convenience.
- Complete the Online Application. A $100 fee is charged for submission of your application.
- Email the following to the Admission Coordinator, Jacqueline Mae Culas.
- PDF copy of your child’s birth certificate (Also a livret de famille if your child is a French citizen)
- PDF of completed and signed Authorization for Release of Information
- Have your current school complete and email one of the following Confidential Student Recommendation Forms to our office: PK4, K and 1st grade or 2nd to 8th grade.
- For Grades 2 though 8 only: Ask your current school to send us official report cards or a dossier covering the previous two academic years.
PK3 children are not evaluated formally. By invitation, they meet the Dean of Admission and a teacher with their parents for a short interview / play session.
Saturday evaluations are required for all local PK4 and K applicants. As soon as all required application documents have been received, the Interim Associate Director of Admission Karine Luguet will contact families to schedule an early morning, mid-morning or afternoon evaluation.
A parent interview with the Dean of Admission is required for all non-sibling K applicants. The Admission office will contact each family directly in early November to arrange an interview.
We have a buddy system and a directory of both new and returning families which includes class listings for summer play dates.
Grades 9-12 Admission Process
Please visit the International High School Admission page for 9th-12th grade application information.
International and Long Distance Applicants
We welcome applications from families relocating to the San Francisco Bay Area.