Lower School Athletics
In the Lower School years, team-centric sports activities are run by parent volunteers and coordinated through all grades by the Lower School Parent Athletic Committee, a volunteer organization at French American International (lower) School. Our objectives are both to facilitate the formation and smooth running of independent, volunteer-run sports teams in city-wide leagues, and to organize French American-centric sports events.
We encourage ALL students to participate in athletics. At the lower school level, it is often recreational (non-competitive) with an opportunity to play on more competitive teams in 3rd, 4th, etc., grades. It is a FUN, healthy and enjoyable experience for children and their classmates.
There are many benefits to joining city leagues in this manner: the children socialize with their classmates in a fun environment outside of school, they form bonds as teammates, and they interact with other children throughout the city. You will also find that it's a great way for parents to get to meet and know other parents.
Throughout the Lower School, the typical school year will unfold into the following seasons:
- Soccer season for 5th grade boys playing on a French American Middle School Athletics team
- Soccer season #1 (Vikings Microsoccer for pk4-1st and Vikings for 2nd-5th, Vikings Upper House for 4th – 5th)
- Basketball season in the Winter (K-4th in either the Presidio YMCA or JCC leagues, 5th grade boys and girls through the French American Athletics)
- Soccer season for 5th grade girls playing on a French American Middle School Athletics team
- Futsal (SF Recreation and Park Jose Coronado League for K to 5th).
- Soccer season #2 in the Spring (Vikings Microsoccer for pk4-1st, SFPAL for 2nd-5th, Vikings Upper House for 4th – 5th);
- Basketball season for 5th grade girls playing on a French American Middle School Athletics team
- Baseball season in the Spring (SF Little League)
During the course of the year, the school’s Athletic Department and High School teams will run sports clinics for the lower school. All students, whether or not they participate on a team are able to participate. We typically organize a soccer clinic on the 1st Teacher In-Service Day in October and a basketball clinic on a Sunday in November.